The Supervisor, Accounting is accountable to the Manager, Accounting for the timely and accurate completion of various accounting activities for an assigned portfolio and for ensuring financial reporting is timely, accurate, is completed in compliance with company’s accounting policies and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. General Accounting: responsible for maintenance/oversight of the day-to-day general ledger transactions, including drafting and input of journal entries, liaising with other departments, accountants, managers, controllers in order to maintain an accurate and transparent accounting process. Where outside managers are contracted, assists/manages the upload of accounting files received from the outside into Morguard’s accounting system.
2. Financial Reporting: prepares and reviews a variety of financial reports/statements including but not limited to the monthly/quarterly financial statements and related reporting packages, exception reports, annual budget and forecast, to ensure completeness and accuracy of head office transactions as well as the completeness, accuracy & integrity of statements/reports.
3. Reconciliations and Compliance: processes Prepares and when assigned, reviews monthly/quarterly accounting, compliance and vendor/tenant reconciliations and in addition to identifying any discrepancies, works with the appropriate individuals to resolve, ensuring the completeness, accuracy, and integrity of statements. As assigned, prepares and/or reviews calculations for recovery of operating costs from tenants, including interpreting the financial aspects of lease clauses relating to recovery of costs. Participates in the filing of regulatory documents.
4. Cash Management: analyzes and monitors cash requirements for mortgages, development projects, capital expenditures, distributions, acquisitions, dispositions, and any other capital cash requirements, in addition to liaising with management staff and, as directed, with external banking partners to resolve any other cash requirements. Assists with the mortgage refinancing program as required, including the preparation of mortgage/bank line covenant requirements to external parties in adherence with relevant due dates.
5. Budgeting / Reforecasting and Variance Analysis: provides assistance, where necessary, to the annual budget and periodic re-forecasting processes, including variance analysis.
6. Support to Quarterly/Annual Audit Process: assists with and helps coordinate the audit process through the preparation and compilation of the working papers and financial statements in addition to helping resolve external audit queries.
7. Policies, Procedures and Regulations: assists with the research, development and implementation of emerging technical accounting requirements, to ensure the company is compliance with current standards and is prepared for any changes to such standards going forward.
8. Management and Development of Staff: is responsible for on-the-job training and coaching of accounting personnel to increase departmental knowledge and verifies work of more junior accounting personnel and provides feedback to ensure accuracy of accounting information and development of accounting staff.
9. Other Accounting Duties: assists or completes ad hoc projects assigned by Manager or Comptroller (ex. assisting with the research, development and implementation of emerging technical accounting requirements or processes) to ensure that the finance group is complying with current standards and is prepared for any changes to such standards in the future. Any other job related duties and/or projects that may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Education
- College Diploma in Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant accounting experience
- Enrollment in an accounting designation course
- Intermediate to advanced working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Good analytical skills
- Good organizational skills
- Attention to detail.
- General understanding of Canadian GAAP and IFRS is an asset.
- Career plan to obtain an Accounting Designation is an asset.
Any other job related duties and/or projects that may be assigned.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
AGENCY NOTICE: Please note that Morguard does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Services Agreement with agency/recruiter, Morguard will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement and advanced solicited services from a Morguard employee, Morguard explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or (905) 281-3800.